India’s capital and simultaneously a union territory, Delhi functions as both. Delhi, hosting the central government’s headquarters, assumes the position of the nation’s capital due to its executive, parliament, and judiciary components. Covering an area of 1483 square kilometers, Delhi is the second largest metropolis after Mumbai. Yamuna’s banks house this city. Capital of India and prominent political hub, it receives international attention as a popular tourist spot.
India’s storied past, diverse culture, and impressive architectural achievements are showcased in this city. Countless tourists are attracted by the aesthetic appeal of these temples, found in Delhi. Stunning structure and design elements are exposed in this article.
Each with its own unique significance and architectural appeal, the top 10 temples in Delhi will be explored in this article.
Here are famous top 10 temples in Delhi:
- Akshardham Temple: A Marvel of Architecture and Spirituality
- Hanuman Mandir Jhandewalan: A Symbol of Devotion and Faith
- Lotus Temple: A Symbol of Unity and Harmonany
- Kalkaji Temple: A Place of Divine Blessings
- Pracheen Hanuman Temple: A Shrine of Ancient Significance
- Gauri Shankar Temple: A Spiritual Oasis in the Heart of Delhi
- Birla Mandir: A Temple of Divine Splendor
- ISKCON Temple: A Spiritual Retreat for Krishna Devotees
- Mangal Mahadeva Birla Kanan: A Serene Abode of Lord Shiva
- Kali Mandir: A Shrine of Devotion and Power
If you are planning to visit famous temples in Delhi? Here, we have compiled a list of Top 10 famous temples in Delhi that should be on your wishlist!
1.) Akshardham Temple: A Marvel of Architecture and Spirituality
Among Delhi’s most impressive temples, Akshardham Temple is situated near the Commonwealth Games Village. To Swami Narayan Akshardham is dedicated, the city’s largest temple complex. Showcasing India’s cultural wealth, the temple hosts a captivating light and sound show each evening. Alongside the temple’s historical significance, visitors can appreciate its ornate carvings and cultural offerings.
- Locality: Located in New Delhi 110092, Noida Mor has an address at Pandav Nagar.
- Timings: 10 AM to 8 PM
- Nearest Metro Station: Known for its architectural magnificence, Akshardham Metro station appears on the Noida-Dwarka line.
2.) Hanuman Mandir Jhandewalan: A Symbol of Devotion and Faith
Temple in Delhi, one of the most revered, the Hanuman Mandir Jhandewalan is. Temple devotees of Lord Hanuman admire its 108 feet tall statue of the deity. As Aarti progresses, the statue’s arms shift, displaying an image of Lord Ram and Devi Sita, granting benedictions to those present. Unique charm stems from the temple’s front entrance resembling Hanuman’s mouth.
- Locality: New Delhi 110092 is home to Link Road New, located in Karol Bagh.
- Timings: 5 AM to 10 PM
- Nearest Metro Station: These stations are Jhandewalan and RK Ashram Marg.
3.) Lotus Temple: A Symbol of Unity and Harmonany
Through architecture, the Lotus Temple celebrates the unity of diverse cultures. Open to all religions and beliefs, this temple was built in 1986. A well-known landmark in Delhi, the lotus-shaped structure attracts many visitors. Offering a peaceful setting for contemplation, the temple can hold approximately 2,500 people simultaneously.
• Locality: Road, Bahapur, Shambhu Dayal Bagh, Kalkaji, New Delhi 110019 – Lotus Temple.
• Timings: 8 AM to 5 PM
• Nearest Metro Station: Kalkaji metro station.
4.) Kalkaji Mandir: A Place of Divine Blessings
The Kalkaji Temple, also known as the Manokamna Siddha Peetha, holds great significance for devotees. Legend has it that the Pandavas built this temple after their victory in the Kurukshetra battle. Dedicated to Goddess Durga in her Kalika Avatar, this temple attracts thousands of worshippers every day. The serene atmosphere and divine blessings make it one of the best temples to visit in Delhi.
- Locality: Kalkaji Metro Station, Ma Anandmayee Marg, Opposite NSIC Estate, Kalkaji, New Delhi 110019
- Timings: 4 AM to 11:30 PM
- Nearest Metro Station: Kalkaji metro station.
5.) Pracheen Hanuman Temple: A Shrine of Ancient Significance
The Pracheen Hanuman Temple, located in Connaught Place, has a rich history dating back to the Mahabharata era. Rebuilt in 1724 by Maharaja Jai Singh, this temple is dedicated to Lord Hanuman. It is renowned for the uninterrupted chanting of hymns in praise of Lord Rama, as mentioned in the Guinness Book of World Records. Tuesdays and Saturdays witness a significant influx of devotees seeking blessings and solace.
- Locality: Baba Kharak Singh Marg, Hanuman Road, Connaught Place, New Delhi 110001
- Timings: 5 AM to 1 PM & 3 PM to 11 PM (Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday); 4 AM to 2 AM (midnight) on Tuesday; 4 AM to all night on Saturday
- Nearest Metro Station: Rajiv Chowk or Janpath metro stations.
6.) Gauri Shankar Temple: A Spiritual Oasis in the Heart of Delhi
The Gauri Shankar Temple is one of the most visited and famous Shiva temples in Delhi. It houses an 800+ years old Shiva Lingam and features beautiful paintings of gods and goddesses like Ganesha, Kartik, and Parvati. According to history, a soldier built this temple after surviving a battle injury. Mondays and the grand celebrations during Shivratri attract a large number of devotees to this sacred place.
- Locality: 2573, Katra Lehswan, Chandni Chowk Road, Delhi 110006
- Timings: 5 AM to 10 AM & 5 PM to10 PM
- Nearest Metro Station: Chandni Chowk metro station.
7.) Birla Mandir (Laxminarayan Temple): A Temple of Divine Splendor
A magnificent shrine for Lord Vishnu and Goddess Laxmi, the Birla Mandir is known as. Completed in 1933 by BalDeo Das Birla, the temple complex has separate shrines for Lord Shiva, Buddha, and Krishna. For devotees, special festivities during Diwali and Janmashtami intensify their spiritual experience.
- Locality: Marg, Mandir, New Delhi 110001, Gole Market.
- Timings: Operating hours fall within the timeframe of 4:30 AM to 1 PM and 2:30 PM to 9 PM.
- Nearest Metro Station: R K Ashram Marg is where you can find the metro station.
8.) ISKCON Temple: A Spiritual Retreat for Krishna Devotees
The ISKCON Temple at Nehru Place is a renowned Vaishnav temple dedicated to Lord Krishna and Radha. Managed by the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, this temple opened its doors to devotees in 1988. Janmashtami, the birth anniversary of Lord Krishna, witnesses grand festivities and attracts devotees from all over.
- Locality: Sant Nagar, East of Kailash, New Delhi 110065
- Timings: 9 AM to 1 PM & 4 PM to 9 PM
- Nearest Metro Station: East of Kailash metro station.
9.) Mangal Mahadev Birla Kanan: A Serene Abode of Lord Shiva
Dedicated to Lord Shiva, the Mangal Mahadev Birla Kanan Temple is located in Rangpuri. Bees circle around a prominent Shiva statue in the temple’s central area. Housed within this building are statues of Lord Rama, Sita, Krishna, and Radha created from silver and bronze. The temple grounds offer an opportunity for devotees to seek the blessings of Goddess Parvati, Lord Ganesha, and Lord Kartikeya.
- Locality: Found at Rangpuri in New Delhi, 43 resides on Shivaji Marg.
- Timings: 24 hours
- Nearest Metro Station: Delhi Aerocity metro station.
10.) Kali Mandir: A Shrine of Devotion and Power
Dedicated to Goddess Kali, one of the most impressive temples to visit in Delhi is the Kali Mandir. Temple devoted to Lord Shiva and Radha Krishna complement the main shrine. Alive with vibrant celebrations, the temple draws devotees seeking blessings and spiritual solace during Durga Puja and Diwali.
- Locality: CR Park is located at Main Road, New Delhi 10019.
- Timings: From 4:45 AM to 12:30 PM and 5 PM to 10:00 PM.
- Nearest Metro Station: Greater Kailash metro station.
Conclusion: Embark on a Spiritual Journey in Delhi
More than just historical landmarks and markets, Delhi is a hub of spiritual exploration. A unique blend of architecture, devotion, and divine blessings are found among the top 10 temples in Delhi. A stop on any spiritual travel through Delhi, these temples offer solace, blessings, and deeper divinity ties visit opportunities.
Visit Delhi and immerse yourself in the religion-rich spiritual legacy of the city by exploring these holy temples. Flight deals, tour packages, hotel reservations, and more can be found with Shrine Yatra, all with minimal fuss. India’s heart holds the key to a spiritual discovery, so embark on an adventure and find the divine presence.