2022 is here and it’s time to start preparing for a trip of epic proportions. Get ready to experience the highest realms of spirituality in Kailash Mansarovar Yatra 2022. Shrine Yatra brings you some exciting Kailash Mansarovar Yatra packages. A trip to Kailash Mansarovar is as thrilling as it is sacred. For avid trekkers, Kailash Mansarovar is a trip that has no parallels. It involves tough walks on icy slopes, rugged Himalayan terrain, frozen glaciers. For those spiritually inclined, Kailash Mansarovar Yatra is nothing short of a divine experience. There are Tibetan monasteries that you can visit on this route and a unique Buddhist culture to experience.
Kailash Mansarovar Yatra 2022 – An epic journey into the heart of the Himalayas
Tourists have to acclimatize to the low-oxygen weather on such high altitudes of the Tibetan Himalayas. It is a tough trip but equally rewarding, as you are surrounded by the icy barrenness of the Tibetan Plateau. The rugged Himalayan region has pristine blue glacial lakes that look like tiny blue gems in the snowy-white mountains. Glaciers that come down from the mountains are a challenge even to hardened mountain climbers. The surreal landscape of Tibetan Himalayas is pure bliss and tranquillity.
Rivers like the Sutlej, Indus, and Brahmaputra originate from this region of the Tibetan Himalayas. Devotees forget such difficulties and keep on chanting god’s name as they move along the route. The reverberating chants keep the spirits of these devotees high even in this harsh Himalayan region. It is this spirit that makes Kailash Yatra an unforgettable one-of-a-kind experience of a lifetime.
Kailash Mansarovar Yatra – Centuries-old pilgrimage to the abode of gods
For centuries, people have taken the ultimate pilgrimage of their lives when they have gone to the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra. They braved the toughest weather and icy Himalayan terrain to undertake this epic journey. But still, a trip to Kailash Mansarovar remains one of the toughest pilgrimages on earth.
Mount Kailash is in the Tibetan Autonomous Region of China, and Mansarovar is a freshwater lake that is close to Mount Kailash. Both these are considered to be the abode of the gods. Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, and Tibetan Bon religion have undertaken this Kailash Mansarovar Yatra despite the unpredictable climate, steep terrains, snowstorms, and tough treks.
A trip around Mount Kailash on foot is known as Kailash Parikrama and is followed by Mansarovar Parikrama and taking a holy dip in Mansarovar Lake. One Parikrama of Mount Kailash washes away sins of the past seven lifetimes, while 108 parikrama gives moksha to the devotee.
What is the mythological significance of Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
Mount Kailash and Mansarovar Lake are of supreme spiritual importance for Hindus. Mount Kailash is a holy mountain where Lord Shiva resides and meditates. Pandavas also went to Mount Kailash on their way to the heavens. Jains also hold Mount Kailash in high reverence. The first Jain Tirthankara, Rishabhdev got liberated from the cycle of life and death (moksha) at Mount Kailash. Buddhists view Mount Kailash as Mount Meru or the center of their universe. Tibetan Buddhists view Mount Kailash as ‘Kang Ramponche’, or a Precious Jewel. Bon religion of Tibet also views Mount Kailash as the center of the universe.
What are the overland routes to reach Kailash Mansarovar in 2022?
There are three overland routes via which you can reach Kailash Mansarovar during 2022. They are given under:
- Kailash Mansarovar Yatra route through Uttarakhand: The route to Kailash Mansarovar goes through Uttarakhand. This route starts from Delhi and passes through Uttarakhand places like Almora, Narayan Ashram, Patal Bhuvaneshwar, etc. You will have to do considerable trekking on this route. The places that come on this trekking route are Dharchula, Tawaghat, Gunji, Kalapani, etc.
- Kailash Mansarovar Yatra route through Kathmandu: This is an easier route to reach Kailash Mansarovar. It takes only 15 days for this yatra.
- Kailash Mansarovar Yatra route through Sikkim: This route passes through Nathu La Pass and is lengthier compared to the other routes. This overland route to Kailash Mansarovar takes 21 days and goes through the scenic Tibetan Plateau. Much of this route is by car, and perfect for middle-aged people. This is the easiest route to reach Kailash Mansarovar, but the most expensive of all.
Who is eligible to go for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
If you are going to Kailash Mansarovar Yatra, there is certain eligibility that you should have. These conditions are given below.
- Should be an Indian citizen.
- Valid Indian passport for a minimum of six months as of 1st of September in the current year.
- Should be 18 to 70 years of age (as on the 1st of January of the current year).
- Body Mass Index (BMI) of 25 or less.
- Should be fit, both mentally and physically.
Who should not go for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
Those suffering from chronic problems like heart disease, epilepsy, hypertension, psychological problems, lung conditions, obesity, diabetes, asthma should not go for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra. Pregnant women and kids under 18 years of age also should not undertake this yatra.
What are the documents required for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
- Indian passport (valid for six months as of 1st September of the current year).
- Color passport size photographs (6 nos).
- Scanned copies of passport size photograph
- Voter ID
- Travel and Medical Insurance
- Medical Certificate
- Kailash Mansarovar Yatra Permits
- Group Visa
- Consent form for cremation in case of accidental death on the Chinese side.
Which medical tests are required for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
Tourists will need to stay in Delhi for 3-4 days to undergo certain medical and fitness tests. These tests are mandatory as tourists will have to trek at an altitude of 19,000 feet during the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra. The tests are done at Delhi Heart and Lung Institute and ITBP Base Hospital. These tests are:
- Complete Blood tests
- Blood group test
- Chest X-Ray
- Liver function test
- Blood Sugar test
- Urine test
- Treadmill test
- Stress Echo Test
- Fasting lipid profile
- Pulmonary function test
- BMI (Body Mass Index) should be 27 or less.
Which are the places where medical tests are conducted during Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
The main medical tests are conducted in Delhi before the Yatra starts. There is a second medical test which is conducted by ITBP on the Lipulekh route at Gunji. Those who fail to pass this test at Gunji will have to return to Delhi and will have to discontinue further. On the Nathu La route, a medical test is done at Sherathang.
Can I bring medical reports from other medical centers?
No. Only medical reports from Delhi and Lung Institute and ITBP are valid and considered for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra.
Which age group is allowed for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
People in the age group of 18 – 70 are allowed for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra.
Can I take my kids for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
No. You are not allowed to take kids on Kailash Mansarovar Yatra.
What if I get sick during Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
If you have minor symptoms or ailments, the medical and paramedical staff will provide medical facilities. HAPO bags are kept ready in case you feel any of the high altitude sickness symptoms. In case of major ailments, you will be carried off by helicopter to the nearest hospital. On the Chinese side, it may take at least 48 hours due to high altitude conditions.
Can I go for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra alone?
No. Even if you want, you cannot go on Kailash Mansarovar Yatra alone. China gives group visas only and not individual visas. You have to travel in groups only.
What weather conditions am I likely to encounter during Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
Tourists must be brave enough to face the cold climate and harsh weather conditions on Kailash Mansarovar Yatra. Kailash Mansarovar is located high in the Himalayas at an altitude of 15500 feet above sea level. Daytime temperature is around 10 to 15 degrees Celsius, whereas night temperatures go down below zero degrees to -5 or -15 degrees Celsius. At such height, oxygen levels are very low, and it is also very windy due to the barren cold desert terrain. You must also be able to be physically fit trek long distances. There could be landslides or avalanches at some places, although it is difficult to predict them.
What to pack for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
While packing for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra, you should not pack more than 20 kg of luggage. However, you should also keep in mind that you are going to a high altitude where there is extreme cold and the weather may turn nasty. Here is an essential packing list that you should prepare:
- Clothing: Woollen sweaters, thermals, jogging trousers, woolen shirts, woolen socks, shawls, cotton scarves, gloves, monkey cap, jacket, raincoat, umbrella, windcheaters.
- Footwear: Sports shoes, trekking shoes, rubber sandals, slippers. Keep spare ones ready.
- Camping: Torch, Swiss Army Knives, batteries, torch, lighter, plastic mugs, candles.
- First aid kit: Aspirin, pain killer tablets, lip balm, Diamox, Vaseline, plasters, cotton swabs, plasters.
- Toiletries: Shampoo, sunscreen lotion, tissue papers, paper soaps, toilet roll, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.
- Personal items: DSLR, Binoculars, sunglasses, duffel bags, backpacks, milk powder, biscuits, ready-to-eat food, dry fruits, nuts, ready-to-drink fruit juice.
- Trekking items: Walking stick for parikrama, caps, water bottle.
What is the trekking distance for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
On the Lipulekh route, you will have to trek for 200 km. On the Nathu La route, you will have to trek for 35 km.
What is the best time to go for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
May to September is the best time to go for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra.
What is the expenditure on Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
Kailash Mansarovar Yatra is costly. The expenses on this yatra depend on the route that you take. If you are going for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra via Lipulekh Pass, the expenditure may be INR 1,80,000/- per person. However, if you are going through Nathu La Pass in Sikkim, the expenditure rises to INR 2,50,000/- per person.
What is the availability of food in Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
Tourists should take note that only vegetarian meals are available during Kailash Mansarovar Yatra. All meals are served at homestays, hotels, campsites, guest houses by expert chefs. Veg food is served both on the Indian side and also on the Chinese side.
What are the accommodation facilities in Kailash Mansarovar
Tourists can find accommodation in camping tents, hotels, guesthouses, and homestays during Kailash Mansarovar Yatra 2022. These have all facilities and basic comforts that a tourist is looking for. Attached bathrooms, toilets, beds, blankets are available in every type of accommodation.
What is the estimated cost per person for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
If you take the Lipulekh Pass route to Kailash Mansarovar Yatra then the cost per person is approximately between INR 1,50,000 – 1,80,000/-. If you take the longer Nathu La Pass route through Sikkim, the cost per person is approximately INR 2,50,000/-.
What is the route for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra through Uttarakhand?
Lipulekh Pass at the junction of India, Nepal and Tibetan region of China. From Lipulekh Pass, you can enter the Tibetan region to continue on the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra.
What is the shortest and best land route to reach Kailash Mansarovar?
The route that goes through Lipulekh Pass in Uttarakhand is the best route to take for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra. The route that goes through Nathu La Pass in Sikkim is longer and is more expensive. In the Lipulekh Pass route, you will have to do some trekking on foot, and climb uphill on uneven mountainous terrain. The Nathu La route is longer but most of the road trip can be covered by driving and only a few kilometers by trekking on foot.
Can I swim or bathe in Mansarovar Lake?
Mansarovar Lake is considered to be a very sacred and holy lake. Hence you cannot go for a swim in Lake Mansarovar. Also, this lake is very cold, so it is very dangerous to swim here. However, taking a dip is an age-old ritual practiced for thousands of years. You can take a dip in this lake, as it is said to purify one of all the sins.
Can I do puja/havan at Kailash Mansarovar?
Yes. You can do puja or havan at Mansarovar Lake. There are a few Nepali pujaris who can do pula arrangements for you. You can also perform a havan on the Kailash parikrama trek.
What is the Kailash Mansarovar Parikrama route?
There are two routes for doing the Kailash Mansarovar Parikrama. Parikrama is also called Kora. The Parikrama routes are:
- Inner Kora (30 km): Charan Sparsh from Dirapuk (6 km trek), Kuber Kund trek from Shivasthal to Zuthulphuk (18 km trek), Nandi Kora (starts from Darchen, Nandi Parvat kora, Ashtapad trek, Atma Linga, Saptarishi Caves.
- Outer Kora (56 km): Tarboche to Dirapuk (12 km trek), Dirapuk to Zuthulpuk (22 km trek), Zuthulpuk to Chongdo (8 km trek).
How many days are required for Kailash Mansarovar Parikrama?
- Outer kora takes 3 days including overnight rest at Dirapuk and Zuthulpuk.
- Inner kora takes 4 days including overnight rest at Zuthulpuk, Darchen.
How long is the Kailash Parikrama route?
- The inner parikrama route is 52 km long out of which 10 km is by driving.
- The outer parikrama route is 42 km of a trek on foot.
Can I book a horse for Kailash Mansarovar Parikrama?
Yes. You can do Inner Parikrama on a horse, pony, or yak. It costs 2000-2500 Yuan per yak with yak man, and the cost may depend on the yak herder.
How do I prepare for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra?
- Weight lifting
- Breathing exercises/Pranayam
- Daily walks
- Quit alcohol, smoking, tobacco
- Develop mental strength
- Eat regular and healthy food.
- Hiking, trekking on mountains.
- Walking, cycling, jogging, biking, swimming, etc.
What is the duration of Kailash Mansarovar Helicopter Yatra?
If you want to do Kailash Yatra by Helicopter, there are two routes first is from Kathmandu and The duration of Kailash Mansarovar Yatra by Helicopter from Kathmandu is 11 days. Second is from Lucknow and the duration of Kailash Yatra from Lucknow is 9 Days.
What is the cost per person for Kailash Mansarovar by Helicopter trip?
The per-person cost of Kailash Mansarovar Yatra by Helicopter is INR 1,85,000/- to 2,10,000/-.
What route is taken for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra by Helicopter?
Shrine Yatra offers two routes by which you can reach Kailash Mansarovar by Helicopter. These are:
- Via Lucknow > Nepalgunj > Simikot > Hilsa > Purang > Mansarovar Lake > Darchen > Yam Dwar > Diraphuk > Dolma La Pass > Zuthulphuk.
- Via Kathmandu > Nepalgunj > Simikot > Hilsa > Purang > Mansarovar Lake > Darchen > Yam Dwar > Diraphuk > Dolma La Pass > Zuthulphuk.
For more tour packages of Kailash Yatra 2022 go through – Kailash Tour Packages